About The NLAPW, Inc. 

The National League of American Pen Women, Inc. (NLAPW) was founded in 1897 when women journalists were not permitted to join male-only professional organizations. The League became a supportive professional organization for women writers, artists, and composers, where they could be recognized for their talents.

We are proud of the NLAPW headquarters, The Pen Arts Building and Art Museum, and its place among other historic buildings in Dupont Circle, a popular tourist destination in Washington, D.C.

Today, the League includes 60 branches and more than 1,200 members around the country. Membership expanded over the years to embrace women artists, composers, choreographers, and women in the allied arts. The central mission of NLAPW remains the same: to encourage and recognize the work of professional standards in letters, visual and other creative arts, and provide opportunities for members to inspire and encourage one another, as well as their communities. Pen Women may also be Members at Large and not directly affiliated with a particular branch but be a part of the NLAPW, Inc. 

 


About the CNY Branch

 

Over these ninety-five plus years of the Branch's existence, hundreds of Pen Women have found in the CNY Branch collegiality, support, professional development, credentialing, and other benefits which national affiliation confers. For sixty years, with The Syracuse Post-Standard as co-sponsor, the annual Pen Women Poetry Contest was offered to the public. Members donate and volunteer in art related community activities. The Branch offers shows and readings in the visual and literary arts. Over the years, many Pen Women have played significant roles in the Central New York arts scene.